One of the challenges of becoming proficient in a new language is gaining a large base of working vocabulary. When looking up an unfamiliar word or phrase is tedious and difficult, one might tend to not do so and just try to guess at the meaning. While much of your time should be spent on language acquisition where you just enjoy and absorb the language naturally, spending time on language learning is also important. In language learning, you are making a conscious effort to understand the structures of the language, including vocabulary. The built-in dictionary tool makes looking things up easier and thus is more effective.
- In the Pars Omni Spanish Voices software, choose a conversation you’d like to work with and then click on the “Listen” tab at the top.
- In the “Listen” tab, the dictionary tool is on the right side of the window.
- You can type a word into the search field and hit the enter key or click on the magnifying glass to look it up.
Accessing the dictionary tool for words in the text works differently depending on the translation style you are using.
- With the “Click a word with the mouse” translation style, the specific definition of the word or phrase for the context of this story will appear in a small box when you click on the word. Then, if you click the magnifying glass in that box, the word and a more complete definition will appear in the dictionary tool to the right.
- With the “Simultaneous” translation style, when you click on a word, the specific definition will appear next to the word and the complete definition will appear in the dictionary tool at the same time.
- With the “Side by side” translation style, when you click on a word, the selected Spanish text and the corresponding English text will be highlighted, and the complete definition will appear in the dictionary tool. In this case, the highlighted English is the context-specific definition.
- With the “Hover mouse over word” translation style, the specific definition appears next to the word when you hover your pointer on the word and the complete definition appears in the dictionary tool when you click on the word.
There are also other options within the dictionary tool.
- You can adjust the search scope with the drop down menu towards the top of the dictionary tool. You can choose to see just the definitions; the definitions and examples; the definitions, examples, and more; or all of the above and similar words.
- If you click on the “More…” link at the bottom of the information provided in the dictionary tool, a popup window will open that has even more options like showing the verb conjugations and printing the screen.
- If you click the “More…” link in the dictionary window, your internet browser will open to a dictionary website with even more information about the word or phrase.
This integrated dictionary tool allows you to seamlessly glide between the whole language experience and honing specific aspects. Having a one stop shop helps your mind use its energy for absorbing language instead of wasting it switching between and adjusting to different platforms.
To learn more about how you or your organization can improve fluency in the Spanish language, contact Pars Omni today! Our immersive classes and unique approach to language learning give you the skills you need to succeed.